Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A few tasty tidbits..

For me, just writing a blog (or diary, if you will) is challenge enough. Somehow, I always find a way to overbook myself... in this case, I am not just attempting this one blog, but three! As a joke related to my talent for overbooking myself, I have been taking a few pictures of the food we've been eating lately and telling Julia that they are for her "Korean Food Blog" that she has not begun to write, nor committed herself to writing... On that note, I thought I'd share a few food pics and notes since the likelihood that she is as crazy as I am and will actually take on a korean food blog is, well, remains to be seen. So, feast your eyes upon our feasts of late:

Tonight's menu was Shabu-Shabu followed up by Tea and this donut thing, its sweet and tastes like a pancake with syrup (but lighter)

SHABU-SHABU
First, you have the pot of super tasty brew and vegetables which is basically two kinds of mushrooms, some green - uh - grass, and a few potato wedges..

pot with vegetablesThen, you take your plate of thinly sliced raw beef and you place your slices of beef into your boiling pot of yummy veggie stew... wait a little bit until the meat cooks, and then remove it, dip into super yummy meat dip and eat - preferably with veggies!

Lucy, Crista and raw Shabu beefAbove: Lucy, a fellow GnB teacher, and Crista showing off their thinly slice Shabu beef...

Even though eating Shabu-Shabu leaves us all full in our tummies, there is a tasty bun place that just opened up downstairs from our favorite Shabu-Shabu restaurant, so we stopped in to split a few buns and have some tea and coffee..

Bun
Here's Julia with the rose colored, yummy tea.  If I had been more thorough, I would have gotten pictures of the whole bun and the super cool tea pot contraption that you are given with your tea so that you basically brew your own tea at your table and siphon it into your own cup... super fun!
Julia with tea
Next there's everyone's favorite hangover cure, Pork Bone Soup.   This soup sounds scary and kind of looks scary, but tastes DELICIOUS... makes you want to say "Just give me a pig and I'll suck on its back!"

PORK BONE SOUP (korean name coming soon)

Julia and Crista at Pork Bone tableHere's Julia and Crista at the table cooking their pig spine and anticipating the yummy meat taste...  Below is a close up of the pot as it cooks the pork spine.  If you are looking closely enough, you can see the big chunks of spinal bone.  We've eaten this a few times and when you first arrive, it looks like it is all bone chunks in a pot and you wonder where the meat is... well.. you have to pick it off of the bone.  Its awesome!  But the meat is so good and tender, you usually see people closely inspecting their pot of bones for more meat.  Its truly a way to get back in touch with our more animalistic nature..haha!

Pork Bone soupHere is my bowl, the end product.  You can see all of the carefully retrieved meat chunks along with some sparce veggies (onion and potato mostly) and a dumpling.  And, if you're paying attention, you'll see a few of the many side dishes available to me in the above photo... 

My Pork Bone plate
There are many other meals that we've tried - both food we've loved and food that has failed to impress us.  But for now, I will let you savor these tasty morsels... 
AND
Of course, when you in a jam, there is always a Shin-cup! Julia loves these guys, but they are a tiny bit too spicy for me to eat all the time..


Julia eating Shin Cup


1 comment:

tulip said...

yum, yum, yummmmmy!! It makes me want to fly over there right now for dinner. When I come we must go to all of your favorite food places. I can't wait, it sounds so exciting. Miss yous :) oh and how appropriate it is that I am watching top chef right now.